Development / Bylaw Compliance

The Bylaw Enforcement Officer investigates complaints and works to obtain compliance with the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George regulation bylaws.

  • Zoning and land use
  • Building regulations
  • Untidy and unsightly premises
  • Hazard conditions

If you would like to register a complaint please phone or complete the Complaint Form and submit it to the Regional District office.

Bylaw Compliance FAQ's

Bylaw Services cannot investigate anonymous complaints. Your contact information is required to enable us to keep you advised of the course of the investigation and to contact you to obtain more information if necessary. The Bylaw Complaint Form can be completed online and forwarded to Bylaw Services.

Yes, your personal information is protected and will not be released to anyone (including the person who is the subject of the complaint) unless it is required or authorized by law. If an investigation results in Court proceedings, the Regional District may be required to disclose your information as part of the Court process.

If it becomes necessary to prosecute someone for a bylaw offence or for the Regional District to take civil proceedings then it may be necessary for you to present evidence in court.

You will be contacted by a Bylaw Enforcement Officer to obtain further information and kept advised of the outcome of the investigation.

The Regional District does not have any animal control bylaws, which means that we don’t have the authority to deal with animal complaints, including but not limited to barking and noisy dogs, loose and unleashed dogs, neglected or stray dogs, injured dogs, impounded dogs, attacking or aggressive dogs, and dogs kept outside without appropriate shelter.

The BCSPCA can be reached at 1-855-622-7722 for animals in distress or cruelty concerns.

The Livestock Act only deals with dog attacks on livestock. The dog can be destroyed, but has to be caught in the act. Contact phone #: 1-888-823-3355.

Conservation deals with dogs chasing wildlife. Call the RRAP line 1-877-952-7277

No. However, there is provincial “Dangerous Dog” legislation that the RCMP can enforce in certain cases. If the dog(s) is dangerous and/or vicious, at large or has attacked someone or something, please contact the local RCMP non-emergency line at 561-3300.

Building Permitting and Inspections Frequently Asked Questions are located on the Regional District website.

For further information, please contact the Building Inspection department at 250-960-4400 or at

The Regional District has developed an online mapping system that can help you find the zoning of a specific parcel. You can access the online mapping here.

Should you need further assistance in determining the zoning of a specific parcel contact the Planning department at 250-960-4400 or at

The Regional District regulates the condition of properties. Property owners or occupants must not allow their properties to become or remain unsightly due to the accumulation of derelict vehicles, filth, discarded materials, rubbish or graffiti. The Regional District does not regulate the overgrowth of vegetation or lawns.

Illegal dumping is purposefully leaving waste on private or public land rather than using legal disposal methods like recycling or landfilling.

When you witness an environmental violations call the Provincial Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) line at 1-877-952-7277 to report illegal waste disposal anywhere in BC.

A Special Events Permit is required for any event, public show, exhibition, carnival, fair, concert or commercial performance which might reasonably be expected to have attendance of more than one thousand (1,000) people.

Special Events Permit application fee is $200 and must be submitted no less than 180 days prior to the proposed event taking place.